Saturday, October 8, 2011

Day 2- Orientation part 1

It is currently Saturday night, a little after 10pm.

Today was orientation. We were to be at the school by 9am. I was up at 6am, before my alarm even went off. I grabbed my melon pan and sat at the computer to give everyone an update and eat my sugary breakfast. I was on the computer for almost two hours before trudging down the stairs at 8am to meet up with the group for the commute to school. The guys ditched us girls while we waited for one more person, but we caught up at the station. Heh. Then they rode the train on a separate car, so we decided that they didn't want cooties. XP

Once at the school building, we took the elevator to the 8th floor again and waited for orientation to begin. Tanaka-san and Michiko-san were the speakers for the event. Tanaka-san first explained the syllabus and what to expect from each level, as well as the grading criteria! Thankfully, it's more lenient than at home, but the rules involved are adhered to strictly. For example, absentees take off points from the final grade, and students must pass each subject of learning in order to progress to the next level the following semester. The subjects are reading comprehension, grammar, kanji, composition, and listening. Certain sections only require a 60% to pass, but others 70%. It seems a little confusing, but I understand it. ^^

Much of the syllabus was very similar to one from the US: stress on attendance to make sure students don't fall behind, suggested study of 4hrs-6hrs a day outside of class, and emphasis on the importance of asking questions when needed and using the tutor session from the start.

The syllabus explanation was followed by a detailed description of the culture class's events, provided by Michiko-san. All outings for the class are required by those receiving credit for it, but those of us who aren't taking it for credit are permitted to join so long as we sign up for a trip in advance. ^^

At about 11:30, we had a luncheon at the school with all the teachers. Talking to them in Japanese was a bit difficult, especially when it was too noisy to hear the person to whom I was talking, but it was a lot of fun! I think the advisor for the anime/manga club liked us. Jess and I felt like she was saying "draw stuff and submit it to us!!!" even though she didn't use those words, haha.

Again, it seems I will be leaving in the middle, but I seriously need some sleep! I'll update in the morning most likely. ^^

2 comments: