Monday, October 10, 2011

Sunday- Shopping and Karaoke Madness part 1

Time now is Monday about 10pm.

Yesterday was the most exhausting day I've had thus far. For both good and not so good reasons.

Let's start with the shopping trip. Jess, Jill, Barbara, and I got up Sunday morning to go shopping in Shibuya. We took the Fukutoshin line all the way there, so it wasn't confusing. However, walking along the streets, we did sometimes get a little turned around. We took pictures and went to the biggest Starbucks I've ever seen for coffee. I got my typical coffee frapp, but Barbara decided to try something new. She ordered an apple crumble frapp. Sounds good, right? Not exactly. She described it as tasting like apples with a side of vomit. So, of course, we all had to taste it to find out. ...... Sure enough, she was right. Don't know how she finished drinking the stuff. Kinda yuck.

A bit more walking brought us to a very popular place called 109. It's basically a mall with almost nothing but clothing and accessory stores inside. Each floor was rather small, but there were about 9 of them. Above ground. It also had two basement levels. It was sooooooooo much fun checking out each floor only to take an escalator up to even more fun. ^-^ There were so many things I wanted to buy... until I looked at the price tags. Hmph. There is one coat-like, dress thing that I'd love to buy if it ever went on some super sale. I ain't paying 10,000yen for it, though, so I'll keep dreaming. X3 Barb, on the other hand, bought a pair of boots, and a hoody-dress-like thing. Both were expensive but awesome. Jess got some accessories, and I think Jill did too. ^^;

On one floor, Jill was practically dragged in by the salesgirl. Let me explain a little bit about Jill. She is half Chinese, and therefore has the Asian look, meaning everyone everywhere wants to dress her up. It doesn't help that she has a very adorable, yet slightly dark sense of style, too. Jess wants to raid her closet. >.> Anyway, the salesgirl kept calling us "nee-chan, nee-chan" or big sister in English. And while we all loved some of the clothes there, we were so not paying those prices. Thus, we politely backed off and scurried away.

It was sad to finally reach the top floor, as I got entirely too much enjoyment out of continuously riding the escalators up and up and up. However, all fun must come to an end, meaning it was time to ride DOWN all the escalators! Hooray! We went to the bottom floor, and worked our way back to the surface. I managed to behave and keep my wallet shut during the escapade of the 109 mall.

Shibuya was fun, but Harajuku offered even more! And so we took the Fukutoshin line back one stop toward school and hopped off at the Meiji-jingumae 'Harajuku' station. It took a bit of walking once out of the subway to get to the major shopping area, but once we reached that particular street, we knew it. The long stretch was filled with people, both Japanese and foreigners (especially the American type). Staying together was a bit difficult, but we managed. A few shops down and Jess and Jill had purchased more accessories.

We decided to find somewhere to eat at that point, so we walked until we reached the food court. Finding recognizable food there was difficult. We split up to go to a few different places. Jess and Jill went for Indian-style curry. Meaning slightly spicy curry, as far as we're concerned. Barb first headed for crepes but found the line to long and ordered some chicken wrap at the curry place.

I, being the crazy one, just had to have myself some noodles. I found the noodle place, and was almost completely confused by the menu. I knew enough to ask what one picture was: "Kore wa nan desuka?". And the response was Yakisoba, so I asked for that. The cashier asked if I wanted a drink, but they didn't have cola, so I declined. While I was standing waiting for my food, he tried to speak to me again, telling me I could sit somewhere to wait, but he fired it off so quickly I didn't know what he said until a woman behind the counter explained it in English. I felt like a noob. Once I got my food, I thanked him and darted off to find soda. I ended up at the crepe place, as the line had died down, so only two Japanese girls stood in front of me. I think I surprised them when I asked for a Pepsi in Japanese. The guy working their seemed amused, though, so all is well. XD

I returned to the group to eat, only to realize that there was seaweed on top of my precious noodles. It had a very fishy smell, so I cracked my chopsticks apart and proceeded to move the pieces onto my napkin. Finally, I could eat! Now, I know at home I've said my chopstick skills are fairly poor, but I'm better than I thought. Not thinking, I held them slightly differently than how I was taught... which is how they're supposed to be held anyway, it turns out (I found this out later that night)! Hooray for me, because that was easier.

Our bellies filled, we tossed our trash and headed for the exit. Upon doing so, we briefly met up with some fellow students who are staying in a different dorm than we are. We chatted a bit, and they seemed to be good kids with a great sense of humor. However, our destinations were different, so off we went again! We attempted to use the restroom on the upper floor of the building, but ran away as soon as we saw the line. Typical line for the women's room, I suppose.

Opting to use a restroom later, we continued our shopping adventure. Next stop, Body Line. That is the place that did us all in. It was basically a costume store. And there was a huge sale. We each bought an outfit and accessories to go with. Dang, and I was doing so well. Don't worry, my dress is freaking awesome, and you will all be jealous. ^-^ My dress is very pirate, teehee! Although, I guess it could be considered bar maid-ish? Meh. I bought a necklace to go with. It's a watch with a skull cover. Therefore, I am pirate. XD Anyway, got my dress for less than half the original price. ^-^ Huh, still need boots to go with. Later, perhaps.

That basically ends the story of the shopping part of the day. We got back and tried on our dresses, and may I say that mine fits insanely well. Then we met up with the other noobs and our 3 upperclassmen to go to dinner together. We ate at an izakaya, a casual type place where small dishes are ordered and shared by everyone at the table. Drinks too, but I only tasted a few. Most were kinda watery, but that's apparently the Japanese taste in alcoholic beverages. Works for me. At this Japanese equivalent of a pub, I tried takoyaki, or octopus filled, ball-shaped dumpling type things. I did not like it, but everyone else did. Oh well, at least now I know.

Sorry, but I'm entirely toooooo tired to finish. Good night, and I shall hopefully finish the story of Sunday night in the morning. Then on to tell about today's events. Bye for now!

1 comment:

  1. I notice you didn't mention any Gibles during this shopping adventure of yours. You're holding out on me aren't you? Glad you're having fun jackal! =)

    Mel

    ReplyDelete