Saturday, October 8, 2011

First Full Day part 2

It is currently Saturday at 8pm, just to be clear, haha. I don't think I'll change the time on my computer yet.

So, to continue, the ceremony ended, and the students were moved to a classroom on the 2nd floor to take the placement test. This test, as described to me by a senior student, is hard, and we were expected to fail. However, the questions we were able to answer pretty much decided placement.

After taking the test, we went to a small interview to make sure our purpose was clear, such as whether or not we are taking classes for college credit, etc. By the time we finished that, the test was graded, and we moved to another room to speak with a teacher about the level in which we would be placed. I was told that judging by my test scores I should be placed in level 2, but they are willing to let me try out level 3 for a week to see if I can handle it. I'm going to be studying like crazy from here on out! ^^;;;

Shortly thereafter, Jess and I gathered with a few other students- Jill, Barbara, and Jay- to find something to eat. One of the faculty members, Michiko-san, kindly offered to lead us to a relatively inexpensive place, and she even helped us order food. We were extremely grateful! I had curry for the first time, and it was great! I did not get the spicy kind, though. XP It was a nice sized bowl, and it cost 330 yen.

Once we had paid, the five of us wandered around the area before heading back to the dorm. I bought some melon bread in a hyaku en store (similar to dollar stores back home). It was yummy. ^__^ On the way back we tried to walk our way to the Shinjuku Sanchome station in order to skip the first train ride, but we ended up at the Shinjuku Gyoemmae station anyway. In the Shinjuku Sanchome station, we accidentally went through the wrong ticket gate and wasted one of our tickets, but we'll be getting a proper pass soon enough that it shouldn't be an issue.

The walk back from the final station- Ikebukuro station- was pretty relaxing, and that was when I first noticed two matching trees that were giant evergreens, located at the nearby school, Rikkyo University. We all commented that they would be perfect Christmas trees. I vowed to get a picture of them the next time we passed.

Back at the dorm, we again spent time speaking with some upperclassmen. We discussed our placement, where we'd gone during the day, and then agreed to go out later for dinner. I, however, passed out as soon as I returned to my 4th floor room at about 5pm. Jess woke me up at 7 to ask if I was coming, but I was still too tired and stayed behind. I crashed again until about 1 in the morning, when I got up and unpacked my luggage. I then happily fell asleep again at 2am.

That was day one! I'll continue with day two soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment