Sunday, October 9, 2011

Day 2- Orientation part 2

Again, the time is off, lol. Will I ever fix it? It's Sunday morning at 8am.

When the luncheon was over, we were sent to separate classrooms, depending on our level, to meet our teacher and receive our books. The desks were tiny, and I felt a little bad for Link, because he is super tall, lol. Now four of us in level three are being permitted to try it out (Link, a friend from Etown, is in the same boat as I am), so we only got one book and a photocopied packet of the other stuff. The teacher we have is Konno-sensei, who during the luncheon referred to herself as "KCP no ichiban kirei na sensei" or KCP's prettiest teacher. She seems fun. ^^ Speaking only in Japanese, she explained the materials we would be using and what to expect out of her class. It made all our brains hurt. x.x I understood most of it, but my brain was in overdrive to do it. I'll get used to it eventually. X3

Once again we were ushered up to the meeting room on the eighth floor to finish the orientation. At that time, Tanaka-san explained tips for daily life in Japan, such as proper ID to carry and what to do if said ID gets lost or stolen. First step, police! Really a no-brainer. There needs to be a police report for anything to be done about it. Second step is to go to the US embassy (if what was lost was a passport). Typically, these items are found, so replacement is thankfully not necessary. Next up was guns and blades. Carrying them without proper purpose is illegal. Taking a knife purchased from a store home, okay. Carrying one all the time, not. Weapons laws verrrry different here.

My favorite part of the daily life discussion was riding on the train. Tanaka-san drew a hilarious picture on the board that I wish I'd asked to take a picture! It was a front view of a train car with the seats on either side, along with the rack above the seats for heavy bags. He drew overly simplified drawings of people to show where they should sit (seat only, floor unacceptable) and where their bag should be. If sitting, bag stays on lap or on floor behind legs. If standing, bag may be placed on rack above seating. So he then had four people drawn: one on the seat on either side, and two standing and holding the bar. Finally he drew a person in between the two standing with devil horns and a hand reaching for one person's crotch. VERY FUNNY! He warned us about perverts, and how to avoid them. Tanaka-san also advised the boys to hold onto the bar with both hands, rather than leave them at their sides, to avoid being mistaken as a pervert should they bump into someone during the train ride. ... I shall draw a recreation of this picture. And then I shall draw one very detailed. >D

Ahem, back to some seriousness... Orientation was followed by a tour of the Shinjuku area. There was a ton of walking, and I was dying of thirst halfway through (as I had finished my water). I must learn to carry more water if I wish to survive this. The streets were crowded, typical of a Saturday afternoon, but sticking together wasn't too difficult. I unfortunately was too busy keeping up to pull out my camera, but next time I'll be ready. Muahahahah! >.>;;; Sorry 'bout that.

At the end, we all split off to go our separate ways back to our dorms. Jess and I grouped with some other girls from our dorm- Jill, Barb, Ashley and one other- to ride the train back to Ikebukuro. At some point the sixth girl left, so the five of us left spend the rest of the day together. We dropped off our books in our rooms and went for a nice walk around the area, finding all kinds of shops. My personal fave was the music and video game store. I will certainly return to buy much Japanese music... and perhaps a game. XD By this point on our journey our legs were tired and our tummies were rumbling. Thus, we ventured back to the shopping area that the senior students- Matt, Matt, and Jason, I think- showed us on the first night.

We unfortunately allowed Jess to walk in front for awhile. She first went the wrong way, back to the dorm area, until Barb and I corrected her. -_-;;; Once we found the shopping area, Jess wanted to keep looking for a different place to eat. The rest of us eventually decided we were too hungry to do that any longer. So I bought some chicken and beef dish from a nice lady who humored us while we tried to decipher just what else she was selling. Then we went to the super market and bought some general items like water, milk, bread, etc. After paying, we went right outside to a place with kabob-like food, and bought some for 100yen.

A short, but exhausting trek home with our bags ensued, and I had to ask Jill to carry the pack of tissue boxes  I'd bought because it was too bulky with the heavy items I carried. x.x We returned to our rooms, and I sent my refrigerated products to Jess's room, since her fridge was already plugged in. Then I sat down and ate the chicken and beef dinner I'd gotten. It was actually very yummy, even though I couldn't tell what one of the veggies was, heh.

And that was my second day! Tune in for more later! XD

No comments:

Post a Comment