Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Cooking Curry and a Day Off!

Monday, November 21st was a bad day for me. And a little bit for those around me too. I was just moody and angry, thank you girl problems. At least most of the group found my angry antics to be entertaining more than anything else. Although a dumb boy decided to tell me something he shouldn’t have, so I advised him to not talk to me for awhile. After that I began to toss around an origami box that Jil made for me. It was fun, and everyone else probably just thinks I’m insane now. Oh well. X3

I was trying to cool down before class; I didn’t want to be an angry person for Kataoka-sensei’s class. She’s too sweet, and I would have felt horrible. Unfortunately, she wanted to play sort of a game with roll call that day. First she wanted someone else to answer for the person she called, forcing the called student to correct the mistake. Then when she called my name, I was to pretend I was not paying attention, forcing a student nearby to tell me I was called. Well, Denseki-san (not sure of spelling) was sitting next to me, and said boy from earlier was sitting behind me. If I were smart, I would have whispered for Denseki-san to be the one to speak up. I didn’t do that, though, so I got a tap on the shoulder from behind. I was still angry and promptly turned around to tell him, in what was likely a very venomous tone, not to touch me.

After that, we moved our seats into the big half circle used for class, and I sat far away from anyone I really knew. In doing so, I could safely talk to those next to me for class exercises. Of course, as class dragged on, I began to feel like a terrible person. Don’t know why, as I gave fair warning that I might not be human that day. XP Poor kid next to me asked if I was sick. I told him no, I was just a girl. I doubt he understood what I meant, though, because he went on to say that he’s always sleepy in class too. During break, I barely left my seat at all. I was drawing angrily in my notebook, because that’s just what I do.

In any case, when class was over, I did apologize. (read: yes, mom, I apologized) I guess I can act like an adult sometimes. But only sometimes. Heh. And all was well again, as we scurried out of our classroom.

Tuesday was another sakubun, but this one will be used as a speech that we have to memorize. I’m not looking forward to that so much. They did give us the freedom to pick our own topics, and we were told about it ahead of time with the hope that we could finish writing it in class. Writing the sakubun was saved for the end of class as always. Jil, Duke, and I had a curry cooking class to attend afterward, so we tried to hurry in writing it. It took me a long time to figure out an opening sentence, but the rest of the paper didn’t take too terribly long. We were all late in finishing, but we still made it to the curry class.

Once we arrived at the place for the class, I immediately regretted letting Duke badger me into signing up for it. We would be making curry with some Japanese college students who volunteered to join. As if talking with them wasn’t nerve wracking enough, I was expected to help make food? I hate cooking in front of people, so I didn’t know what to do with myself. There were 15 US program students, I think, and we were split into groups of three that were then joined by two Japanese students each. Jil and I stole Duke for our group, as he had done the curry class before. Two male students joined us: Yuto-san and Yo-san, who were both very friendly.

We went to our station with the ingredients and got to work. At first I was afraid to touch anything, as it wasn’t my kitchen. Sigh. But I eventually joined in, helping Jil cut the carrots, potatoes, and onions. Yuto-san and Yo-san insisted that we were doing really well, like it was a difficult task. It was pretty entertaining. They kept telling me to be careful while I was working, though. I was being careful; they worried too much that I might cut myself. Yo-san took care of washing dishes as his portion of helping. He kept saying that it was something he could do, so he would do it. Duke took care of the actual cooking part of the job, and we all chatted to pass the time.

When everyone finished cooking, we all sat down and ate together. Rice was prepared by two students who volunteered to do that instead of make the curry itself, so it was time for some yummy curry rice! At our table, our group of five was joined by Michiko-san and another Japanese student, Masaki-san. We had a really good time talking about all kinds of things, such as differences in size of food portions from the US, Canada, and Japan. US of course won as the cheapest and fattest. I know Duke mentioned some other things on his blog too. The punk put up some pictures as well, ch.

Wednesday was a holiday! Woot for days off school! We were initially planning to do the afternoon free time for karaoke, but that ended up not happening. So sad. What we did do was go with the guys to Sunshine so Duke could get a CD that came out that day. It was the opening of a new anime he’s watching. As a quick note, most CD’s are insanely expensive in Japan. I’ve seen a few that cost around 5000yen (about $65). Granted that CD had a ton of songs on it, I still wouldn’t pay that much for it. Luckily, Duke’s CD was under 3000yen. He’s been pretty obsessed with this song since he first heard it, and thanks to that I have had it stuck in my head more than once. It is a good song, but the opening line drives me a little insane with the Engrish, heh.

After that, we went to a book store for the two Matt’s to get some JLPT prep books. We had to take the elevator to like the 8th floor of the building for that. Luckily, they were on a bookshelf right in front of the elevator. Win! Lunch followed, which was gyuudon again. I need to not eat that for awhile, I think. It would seem that I am growing tired of it.

On our way back to the dorm to yet again attempt studying, we stopped by the park to pretend to be kids for a little bit. XD We tried walked up logs that were set on an incline. The first one was simple enough, but the second set was too high an incline and too slippery. I opted instead for taking the other side to the horizontal set of logs, and just sat up there for awhile. The guys attempted the steep inclined logs and failed too. Doubters thought I was making up how slippery it was. Okay, just kidding. We just sort of hung out for a bit until we decided to stop scaring the locals. XD We did get some interesting stares from the passersby.

I believe we were distracted once again, this time by a CD and game store. The guys finally caved and bought a Japanese copy of Pokémon Heart Gold and Soul Silver; they were about 2000yen a piece (about $26). They were used games, but that’s still a decent price for Pokémon video games. Brand new in the US, they were $40. Anyway, Duke purchased Heart Gold, and Matt, Soul Silver. That night mostly involved trading good Pokémon from existing save files to Jess’s US copy of the game, and then the Matt-tachi began their own save files. XD

That’s all for now! ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment