Friday, November 25, 2011

End Midterm Week and Not Quite Singing in the Rain

Ah, Thursday. I somehow woke up in time to get ready and go to school as usual. I was running off of about four hours of sleep and was quite literally falling asleep in class all day. Kataoka-sensei must have noticed, because she called on me to answer a review question in the book just as I began to lose consciousness. Whoops. Luckily she is a nice person, so I don’t think she’ll hold it against me. I’m not sure I remember anything else about Thursday, as I was completely out of it.

Friday was a “disaster drill”, like our fire drills at home, but this one is about what to do in case of an earthquake. First we were made to hide under our desks, should the lights or anything else come loose and fall from the ceiling. Let me just say now that our desks are tiny. Seeing the guys attempt to fit under them was pretty hilarious. Poor Zach. His legs did not fit at all. I am small enough that I could fit my whole body under my desk, without anything sticking out. ^^;;; After hiding, we had to leave the building (in case of fire) and head for a nearby park, because it’s a large, open space with less risk of buildings falling on us or something. I personally felt the whole thing to be completely unrealistic. First of all, the entire school didn’t go at once. Second, I find it difficult to believe we’d make it all the way to the park in the event of an earthquake. Oh, and the most annoying thing was that they actually had people taking pictures of the freaking drill! Who does that??? I was not at all happy about it. x.x

Getting back to class mode was fairly difficult for me. I didn’t want to do anything after the drill. But, alas, I had no choice. Time just sort of dragged until almost the end of class, where more crazy conversations were made. It was another of those “watch the video and create your own dialogue” activities. In this video, there were two men walking back to their apartment building (note: condominiums in Japan are called “manshon”, a katakana transliteration of the word mansion). That had me laughing before I even knew it. One conversation involved the statement, “Oh, my condo is great. Do you want to come home with me to see it?” May I repeat that I love my class? XD These kids, quite a few of whom are actually older than I am, are hilarious!

Okay, time for some random notes about the week. The Pepsi buying war between Duke and myself is still going strong. One night I won pretty amazingly by dropping a 100yen coin into his pocket as he dropped on into the machine. However, he then decided he had to buy me a second one to make up for it. Punk. Couldn’t just let me enjoy my victory. Then, when we went to karaoke, he bought me another one! Three in one night was cheating. XP Since then, I have preemptively placed money in the side pocket of his backpack without him noticing about three times thus far, and only once did he find it before returning home. I’m totally getting back into this game.

While I’m at it, I’ll try to fit the weekend in here as well. Saturday Jil, Jess, and I were supposed to go to Asakusa (stress on second syllable, not first/third) with the culture class, but it was pouring rain. The trip involved walking around a bunch of shops, and I don’t have proper shoes for outings in the rain. None of us are taking the class for credit, so we made the executive decision to not go. Unfortunately, we forgot to ask Gotou-san to contact those at the school to let them know we weren’t going. We walked to the closest bakery for breakfast, and while we were eating, someone took my umbrella from the stand outside. Jil offered to share hers for the walk back, so I stayed mostly dry, except for my feet. Ugh. Few things exist that are worse than sneakers and socks soaked through as you walk.

After that, Jil and I spent most of the day in the lounge with the guys. Duke, of course, came over again. That’s practically all he ever does, heh. I seem to recall trying to draw that day and failing, as I couldn’t think of anything. But we all chatted a lot, so it didn’t matter that much. Dinner was gyuudon, and my feet became even more soaked during that trip. The ground was so flooded, it was not even funny. It poured even harder on the way back to the dorm. And me, without my umbrella. Duke all but demanded to share his, which was kind of broken, but big enough that it still functioned. I didn’t really have a say in the matter as he yanked me next to him. Jil giggled, and Duke felt the need to tell me several times “I mean nothing by this. Nothing but to keep you dry.” I found it fairly entertaining, personally.

We all hung out at the dorm for a little longer, until we got booted at ten and had to leave. Poor Duke had to walk back in the rain, while the rest of us scurried to our warm, dry rooms.

Luckily, Sunday was a much nicer day. Sun shining, humidity levels back down, I put my sneakers in the window to finish drying. They took about three hours from that time to dry completely, during which I video chatted with friends from home and regular chatted with the cousin. It was a lot of fun, considering I had been far too busy for such things before the midterm. That morning, Jess, Jil, Jason, Duke, and two friends of Jess went to a small anime festival type things near our area. I spent the morning alone, grabbed a simple lunch, and bumped into Matt on the way back to my room. He explained that the others were leaving the festival and heading to Akihabara, a place well known for anime merchandise. I chose to tag along with him and Jay to meet up with everyone.

We went out for okonomiyaki, an unusual pancake type food with very different ingredients from what you all know as pancakes. I probably would have enjoyed food more if I hadn’t just eaten, but it was okay. After that, there was some exploring to a nearby arcade with PuriKura. I decided not to participate this time. We walked around the arcade, played some air hockey, which I lost. I did great the first half of the game, but then fell apart once I hit 6points. Too bad. Then Duke played a table flipping game! XD All you had to do was smack hands on the table, then flip in when the bystanders weren’t paying attention. Apparently their surprise, plus the damage done by what was flipped increases the player’s score. It was pretty funny to watch. I want that game at home. In my room, haha.

The two Matt’s left to go back to the dorm, and Jay and Jason left to go elsewhere in Akihabara while the rest of us chose to go to karaoke. It was fun. We stayed for two hours before returning to the station, parting ways with Jess’s friends, and returning home. Jil, Jess, and I all got dinner at the convenience store on the way back. I got a small thing of curry; it was yummy. Upon returning to the lounge, I caught the end of a baseball game on the television. Apparently, the team they wanted to win won. XD Good for them. Odd note: the box indicating the strike zone is not shown on the screen here. It was interesting.

Well, that’s all for last week/weekend! ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment