Sunday, November 6, 2011

A Picture Conversation: Add Insanity

Oh Friday. Konno-sensei. I knew it would be an entertaining class, but there's never any way to prepare for the crazy. The only thing that's expected every class with her is to have to read aloud a new kanji that she points to on the board. I almost always fail the first time and have to stand to do it again after she goes through everyone in class. Luckily, a lot of us fail the first time. It's difficult to memorize kanji you've just learned. I should just start studying them ahead of time, heh. Although, she frequently throws in extras for which we would not be able to prepare. Getting it wrong is funny, though. She says, "Hai, stand up." Love her. XD We also fail when she asks us to make a sentence on the spot for a new grammar pattern. Again, we have to stand. Best class ever.

Toward the end of class, it was time to look at a picture and then make a conversation out of it. The photo was of a man and woman at a table in a restaurant. I was paired with Junso-san, the class troll. I knew he'd make it into something ridiculous, as he always does. So as we were trying to make a conversation together, Konno-sensei seemed amused by our topic. Thus, she picked us to act it out for the class. Dammit. We sat across from each other at the desk sensei placed in the center of the room, and so it went. We said "Hey, it's been a while. What've you been up to?" to start the act. Then, as requested by Junso-san, I added "Oh, by the way, I'm getting married soon." His response in Japanese was the word 'dame', which basically means 'no good'. So, I tried to continue to act, responding with "What? Why?" And this is where it got absurd. Junso-san's next line translates as "The truth is, from long ago, I've loved you." I burst into laughter, because I can't act out scenes like that to save my life. An attempt to play it off as a joke was my next move, but Junso-san kept a poker face, saying that we could be happy together and all that jazz. I couldn't stop laughing. And after a bad pause, he repeated in Japanese "I love you". The entire class was roaring, Konno-sensei included. It was so bad, but so hilarious.

At least sensei made another group go too. Duke and Zack were next with Teiyon-san. Duke had to play the woman, haha! It was a married couple talking about their kid's recent lack of concern for school. Teiyon-san was the waiter, and he was rude and funny. XD Everyone got a kick out of their act too.

When class ended, Duke decided to tell me that if I ever did that to a guy who was pouring his heart out to me, I'd crush him. I explained that it wasn't on purpose, but I probably would react that way in real life. Then he decided to try it out, and I was out of there, still laughing my head off. We joined Jess downstairs to explain class, and she also found it entertaining. Of course, it was at that point that I thought of all kinds of great things I could have said for the conversation, basically to crush Junso-san's character even more. But it was decided that I'd used up my "abusing men" quota for the day, so I was not allowed to tease anyone at all. Instead, Jess and Jil brutally tortured Duke for the trip home. I'm usually tame, comparatively.

So, once we reached our station, Duke decided he didn't feel like going home yet, so he walked us back to the dorm. Only we let Jess in front, so she walked crazy fast as always. Somehow, Jil managed to keep up with her, whereas Duke and I were like, "Nuh-uh". We fell behind, but I certainly wasn't walking any faster to keep up. So we chatted about them keeping pace, and what they might be talking about. Duke guessed right. They were giggling about us walking alone together. Fools. This joke ain't ending anytime soon. Doesn't help that Duke insists on beating me to the vending machines to buy me soda. Sigh. He won that round because I hadn't pulled out 100yen in preparation. We finally caught up to Jess and Jil, and they were of course, giggling. Funny how this joke persists when he's got a girlfriend already. Wait, never mind. That wouldn't stop Jess from making comments. I should know better, heh. Oh well, I'm used to being teased relentlessly, so it doesn't really bother me.

Duke finally left, and Jil went to see Alex, so it was Jess and I for dinner. I made sliders again! Woot for the mini burgers! We ate and watched a few episodes of Big Windup! on my computer. Om nom. Speaking of food, I'm starving, so I'm gonna head out to eat. Peace! The rest of the weekend will be posted when it's over. XD

2 comments:

  1. I see you managed to completely avoid talking about how awful you felt after eating said sliders. =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hanging around with me should have prepared you enough for crazy. Just sayin. Oh and the teasing, even if I ALWAYS wind up being the one laughed at, usually for getting too excited about a good comeback and then screwing up said comeback. And I just re-arranged that sentence so it wouldn't end in a preposition. What has my life become?

    And I know you love your chicken but...GO BEEF! Excuse me while I go restrain my inner glutton.

    ReplyDelete