Thursday, November 17, 2011

Sat/Sun and Week of Testing

On Saturday we hung around the dorm and watched anime practically all day. Specifically, we watched HunterxHunter, a remake of an old classic that I never saw, and an episode of Natsume Yuujinchou (Natsume's Book of Friends is English title). Before the anime marathon, though, we went to the nearby bakery for some yummy breads and the like. Good stuff. Duke kept trying to shove some apple thing at me that I didn't want, which was pretty funny. I won that round.

For dinner, we (Jil, Jess, Duke, Matt, Jason, and I) went to the Italian place I mentioned before. There was relentless teasing aimed at Jason for the time he first tried to show everyone "this really good Italian place" he knew. They walked around for around an hour, apparently, haha. This time, though, just about all of us knew where we were going. During the walk to said Italian place, the joke of me being carried came up again. I protested that there was nothing wrong with my legs, meaning I could walk just fine. At that very moment, I knocked my shin against one of the random (I feel they are random) posts on the sidewalk. The response I received was, "There is now." I laughed and winced at the slight pain, not quite believing the perfect timing of my clumsiness.

We reached the place quickly and were seated. I got the same thing as before, of course. I love my spaghetti. XD It was so yummy. As per usual, we chatted about random things, and I’m pretty sure there was more geeking out about Pokémon, as that tends to happen with us.

After dinner, I believe we got ice cream at the konbini, and the guys bought some beer. Jason, by the way, is a total lightweight. He was pretty far gone after just one, dancing around and talking about typical college student problems. We all of course giggled at his antics, and Duke was trying to give advice as usual. He again chose to relate the issue to Pokémon, something we’ve all come to expect from him. Each of the rest of us piped in with a comment here and there, and Jason has dubbed us all his bros (or honorary bros for the girls). Then the guys, along with some other students from our dorm, headed out to a nearby bar. We girls followed for the walk but headed home as soon as we dropped them off there. Heh.

That’s all I remember about that day right now, as it was awhile ago. While I’m at it, sorry about this late post, but I had a midterm on Wednesday. Anyway, on to Sunday. That was a rather uneventful day. The only thing Jil, Jess, and I really did was watch Moulin Rouge while eating like pigs. Other than that, I studied and slept.

I’m going to include the whole following week of classes (7-11) here too, as my memory is failing me. I’ve decided to start carrying a little journal with me to write down random tidbits from each day to help me write this blog. I know I probably should have started that weeks ago, but better late than never. So, for that week of classes, we were scheduled to have three tests (two grammar, one kanji) squeezed in before the midterm. It didn’t happen, thankfully. The sheet that would have been the second grammar test was given as homework to prepare for the midterm on the 16th.

Random fun notes: Tuesday we girls and Duke went to the stationary store near the school. It’s a good thing I’m picky about spending money, or I’d be totally broke now. It was huge, and there were so many pens and pencils, etc. that I wanted. Also, the second floor housed computer graphics programs, such as those specifically designed to help in the making of comics. Jil, Jess, and I were completely mesmerized by the video that demonstrated the application’s abilities. It was simplified, yes, but so amazing to watch.

Wednesday… nothing I can remember of importance right now. Thursday’s song class was fun, as it always is. At the end, for some reason, we got to listen to a bit of a favorite song of mine. Again by Yui. I threw up a fist, yelling, “Yes!” and began to sing along immediately. Nobody noticed, as the volume was turned up pretty high. Worked for me; I got to sing a song I love. However, Saito-sensei decided to turn the music down to talk to the class (I think). That was when he looked up with a very confused look. He noticed I was singing along and continued to play with the volume, perhaps to see how well I knew the song? It was difficult not to laugh as he did so, but I finished the chorus before class officially ended, heh.

Friday was kind of nerve wracking, to say the least. During class, we were put into groups to hold a conversation with Japanese persons who volunteered to speak with us. It was very nice of them to take time out of their schedule to help foreigners learning the language, and I really appreciated that. However, I was rather terrified that I wouldn’t be able to say much. It went okay though (at least Konno-sensei told us we did fine).The conversation counted as a test, I believe, and we were asked to write a small reaction about something we found interesting. The topic of discussion was end of the year celebrations, and I wrote about the differences between Christmas in the US and Christmas in Japan.

That’s all for now! I’ll start up on the weekend in a bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment